Cayton Bay has been a magnet for Surfers and beach lovers for many Years, And since 2008 it has been the base for Scarborough Surf Schools wide range of activities which include Surfing lessons, SUP lessons and equipment rentals.
Our other specialist activity is Coasteering which is run at the beautiful Thornwick Bay, this is fast becoming a popular experience for all ages and is a great alternative when the Surf is flat.
Situated just two miles South of Scarborough this picturesque sweep of horseshoe-shaped bay is undoubtedly the most unspoilt in the area which offers the visitor a real feeling of remoteness.
Cayton Bay is unique from the other surfing beaches in that it can be surfed through all stages of the tide, meaning no matter what time you arrive you will always be able to get in the water unlike other beaches in the local area.
So what else makes Cayton Bay so great?
- Very consistent surf, if it’s flat here its flat everywhere, and if it is flat then you can explore the bay on a paddle-board!
- Clean water rating of Excellent and the Keep Britain Tidy “Seaside Award”.
- Great for kids to explore, no busy roads or arcades to get lost in and some of the best fossil hunting areas on the east coast.
- Quality Coast Award from the MCS, hunt for Fossils, spot Seals, Puffins and lots more wildlife.
- There are RNLI Lifeguards on duty May to September.
- Toilet facilities down on the beach as well as at the Surf centre.
- THE ONLY 100% DOG-FRIENDLY BEACH IN THE AREA.
Our Surf School and Hire Centre is situated above the waves on Killerby Cliff, as well as direct beach access we also have direct road access from the A64 via Cayton Village and from the south on the A165, saving you from battling the summer congestion and parking problems.
Here at the centre you will find our hub of water sports facilities on the Yorkshire Coast, plus a wealth of amenities such as –
- Free hot showers
- Changing and toilet facilities
- Large grass car park with great views, just £3 to park all day!
- Picnic and seating area, bring your BBQs!
- Hot and cold drinks, snacks and ice cream.
- Surf shop stocked with a great range of products from the best brands.
So we all now know what makes Cayton Bay great, but what makes the whole day really great?
We pride ourselves on offering a stress-free friendly service to all our customers, all the team members are genuine enthusiasts with many years of experience and we thoroughly enjoy what we do.
As well as enthusiasm, heaps of local knowledge, experience and of course talent we also have the professional credentials to back this up.
- All coaches qualified members of the English Surfing Federation.
- All coaches are Surf Life Saving GB trained Surf Lifeguards, this is the highest level of training and goes beyond standard industry requirements.
- Scarborough Surf School is the only centre in the area licensed by the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.
- English Surf Federation Surf School status.
- All staff have enhanced DBS certificates.
We are here 7 days a week year-round to cater for all your needs, please call the shop for advice or a surf check and browse the options below and book online to secure your day on the coast.